Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Greek Pork Wraps




Greek Pork Wraps LT02, 151, 9.5 points

Ingredients

1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons Crisco® Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Canola Oil
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1-3/4 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 pork tenderloin (1 pound)
1 cup chopped peeled cucumber
1 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dill weed
8 flour tortilla (6 inches)
1/2 cup chopped green onions

Directions

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the lemon juice, oil, mustard, 1-1/4 teaspoons garlic and oregano; add the pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 2 hours.

In a small bowl, combine the cucumber, yogurt, salt, dill and remaining garlic; cover and refrigerate until serving.

Drain and discard marinade. Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill for indirect medium-hot heat. Grill tenderloin, uncovered, over direct-heated area for 2-3 minutes on each side. Move to indirect-heated area; cover and cook 10-15 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in foil; place on grill for 1-2 minutes on each side or until warmed. Slice tenderloin into strips; place on tortillas. Top each with 3 tablespoons yogurt sauce and 1 tablespoon green onions. Yield: 4 servings.


Nutritional Analysis: One serving (2 wraps) equals 402 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 718 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 milk.

*******
Made March 2nd. The nutritional info yields 9 WW points and my recipe came out to 9.5 - not bad.

I bought a 2 lb pork loin roast for this and cut it in half. Unfortunately I missed an even cut and chose the smaller of the two for the recipe (13 oz). By the time it was done and had shrunk, the meat fed us all but it wasn't very filling. It made more of a two-person serving than 4. I should have gone ahead and cooked the whole thing.

I didn't use the grill, but instead used the stove and oven. For the 5 minutes of 'direct heat' I browned the pork over medium heat in a skillet and flipped it half-way through. Then put it in a covered dish in the oven for the 'indirect heat'. Because our oven is off and doesn't go above 300, it took about 30-40 minutes to get it cooked all the way through. My guess is that at 350 or even 400 it would have been done in 15 minutes.

I loved the dressing! It was reminiscent of Wendy's Chicken Ranch pita that they sold in the 90s. Oh how I crave those every now and then only to be left unsatisfied. Now I can make my own!!

The other exciting thing was that I used green onions fresh from our garden! woohoo!!

Unlike most of the meals I've made in this endeavor, everyone liked this recipe!! Aaron even ate 3/4 of his wrap! Matthew (who doesn't like pork) found it ok. His response was, "It's not mutton". Having had real Greek gyros, this wasn't quite up to par but it was a decent substitute. The wrap felt like it was missing something, and he said it needed lettuce and tomatoes. This recipe is a keeper and one that I'll experiment with in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment