Week 1 - 5 min warm-up 60 sec run 90 sec walk for 20 minutes
Week 2 - 5 min warm-up 90 sec run 2 min walk for 20 minutes
Week 3 - 5 min warm-up 90 sec run 90 sec walk 3 min run 3 min walk repeat once
Week 4 - 5 min warm-up 3 min run 90 sec walk 5 min run 2.5 min walk repeat once
Week 5 Day 1 - 5 min warm-up 5 min run 3 min walk 5 min run 3 min walk 5 min run
Week 5 Day 2 - 5 min warm-up 8 min run 5 min walk 8 min run
Week 5 Day 3 - 5 min warm-up 20 min run
Week 6 Day 1 - 5 min warm-up 5 min run 3 min walk 8 min run 3 min walk 5 min run
Week 6 Day 2 - 5 min warm-up 10 min run 3 min walk 10 min run
Week 6 Day 3 - 5 min warm-up 25 min run
2.25 mi/43 min (including 5 min warm-up and 9 min cool down)
Wow!! I am in amazement. First of all, I was surprised when the podcast said we were running for 25 min because for some reason I had it in my head that it was only 22. Second, I did not feel like I was dying by the end. In fact, I felt amazing! Maybe part of that was knowing that Matthew would be driving up any minute and my general attitude was a positive one, but I think I was prepared for the run and handled it well. We've had fall weather this weeks which also helps. It is a nice dry climate and refreshingly cool. Perfect running weather :)
It was my intent to run first thing this morning but the boys were being sluggish and I had a long list of work to do around the house. I was concerned that I'd be drained afterward and was willing to put the run off til the evening. Unfortunately the sun is setting sooner now and though two weeks ago it would have still been light when we left, we were definitely in the dark coming home. Aaron decided he did not like riding in the dark. Good news for him because once school starts all runs will be in the morning and bike rides can happen after school.
One of the mental games I played tonight was comparing my location to Wed when I ran for 10 min thinking that when I got to that place I'd be close to 10 minutes. Either I was running faster today or my memory was off because when I hit that spot I'd only been going for 5 minutes. I think I did start at a faster clip today and realized that I needed to check my pace or I'd burn out pretty quick. I did slow down after the half way mark but then was able to speed up again at the end.
Running in the evening increases the chance that people will be out and about in the neighborhood. I had to laugh to myself when a few people commented that I'd never be able to catch up with my boys who were biking up ahead of me. It is a 'win' to me because at the beginning of summer Aaron couldn't keep up with me! One of my goals was for us to be active and exercise regularly. I think we have definitely achieved that goal and Aaron especially has gotten stronger. I don't know that he could keep up with me on foot, but even biking requires leg power so I think he'd be better off now than when we started 3 months ago. Thankfully I haven't had to worry to much about the distance between the boys and I because almost always one of them is waiting just around the corner. I am pleased that Jared waits for us instead of zooming so far ahead that we can't catch up. He does circles around us or pulls off and waits for us to catch up. Aaron takes enough natural breaks that I end up passing him or running circles around him until he gets his zoom going again.
Chubby Jones always says the right thing on her podcast. One of her initial comments was recognizing that this run will be hard, but every week has been hard and yet we did it! So we can do this one too. Hard to believe that I have completed week 6. Only two more weeks to go!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment