Week 1 - 5 min warm-up 60 sec run 90 sec walk for 20 minutes
Week 2 - 5 min warm-up 90 sec run 2 min walk for 20 minutes
Week 3 - 5 min warm-up 90 sec run 90 sec walk 3 min run 3 min walk repeat once
Week 4 - 5 min warm-up 3 min run 90 sec walk 5 min run 2.5 min walk repeat once
Week 5 Day 1 - 5 min warm-up 5 min run 3 min walk 5 min run 3 min walk 5 min run
Week 5 Day 2 - 5 min warm-up 8 min run 5 min walk 8 min run
Week 5 Day 3 - 5 min warm-up 20 min run
Week 6 Day 1 - 5 min warm-up 5 min run 3 min walk 8 min run 3 min walk 5 min run
Week 6 Day 2 - 5 min warm-up 10 min run 3 min walk 10 min run
Week 6 Day 3 - 5 min warm-up 25 min run
Week 7 Day 1 - 5 min warm-up 25 min run
2.44 miles/35 minutes total/4.2 mph
Where to start.... It was the first day of school which meant first day of new routines. When my alarm went off at 5:15 am I really wanted to stay in bed but with the morning plans for breakfast right after the boys got on the bus, I knew I couldn't delay my run. And I knew how I reacted to my alarm would set a precedence that would be hard to break. I finally drug myself out of bed and then all of a sudden I felt awake and ready to face this new challenge.
It is amazing how quickly the sun's habits change. It seemed like just days ago that the sun was bright at 5:30 am, but now it is still dark. It was chilly this morning but I figured I'd warm up enough once I got going. I was right. It was really just about perfect running weather. And it is amazing to be outside while the sun rises. It crested right as I finished my run. It was like a greeting of celebration at my achievement :)
This was the first time I've run without my running buddies. It was kind of weird to go it alone, but at the same time I was excited to see how far I could go without having to run circles or push a kid up a small incline. I figured this would be a truer test of my abilities. I was able to run at a good clip to begin with but about the half way mark I was really feeling the run. I slowed down and was just barely getting one foot in front of the other, but amazingly, once I hit the 15 minute mark I felt empowered to finish. In fact, I even picked up the pace!! I made it all the way around the neighborhood and down the next street, back to our neighborhood and almost to the street before ours before it was time for the cool down. At that point I'd gone 2.15 miles. I was disappointed at this when I mapped it because I didn't think I'd improved my distance. But, once I added the cool down I was pleasantly surprised that I surpassed my previous distances!! I almost made 2.5 miles! And my time went from 3.3 or so to 4.2 (about what my treadmill pace is). Not bad :D
I carry two pouches with me while I run - one to hold my water, phone, and keys and the other to hold the phone with the podcasts. They have a shoulder strap so I carry them across my chest like a messenger bag. I don't like the way the water bangs against me so I hold the pouch in my hand while I run. For some reason I let it go the last 5 minutes and boy what a difference it made!! I was really surprised how much easier and faster I could run without that 'burden' of carrying a water bottle in my hand. I think I may need to figure something else out to carry all my stuff so my hands can be free. There is power in the movement of arms as you run/walk. I have also noticed that since starting these longer timed runs I don't drink as much water. Previously I could down two water bottles in a 20 min walk/run interval. These last two runs I have barely finished one bottle. I am not sure what the difference is. I am almost wondering if I could get away with no water at all, but it really is helpful to get what drinks I do take.
This week we consistently run for 25 minutes before upping to 28 next week. It is amazing to think how far I've come. 1 1/2 minutes was awful. So was 3 minutes. And 5. And 8. But I've done it and done it well. I look forward to completing this challenge and moving on to the next. I am debating redoing the 5k challenge with a focus on speed or moving on to the 10k. Hmm.... Of course with winter on its way it would be easy to give up running, but I hope that with the treadmill in the living room I don't make any excuses.
Oh, funny story. I have been keeping an eye on my weight and inches (as you are aware). I can see small changes but today Matthew was massaging my legs for me and all of a sudden made a somewhat surprised comment about the muscles on my leg/hamstrings. I had to feel for myself because I didn't believe what he was saying. I was shocked to feel my muscles! I know it is silly, but this running is actually toning my legs!! (as it should be, I just hadn't noticed because all I see is the fat I want to have disappear - and this was the back of my legs. I notice muscular legs because that has always been the type of leg that I want. Running might actually get me there - though it is such a gradual process it is hard to detect).
Monday, September 9, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment