Thursday, January 24, 2013

Mom's Egg Nog

 

This year was my first Christmas away from home which meant I had to carry on the food traditions without Mom's help. Thankfully, Matthew and I have hosted Christmas breakfast on occasion so I have had Mom's guidance while making the egg nog before. I wasn't sure how it would turn out with just a basic recipe and my memory. I think it turned out really well - and the thickest egg nog ever!! It was so thick! Sometimes I would add milk to my cup to thin it out and it tasted very similar to the store bought which surprised me.

Here is the basic recipe:

Egg nog recipe:
 
18 eggs
1 qt cream
1 cup sugar
nutmeg
 
 
 Separate eggs, beat yolks very well. Add sugar. Add nutmeg and cream (whip  the cream first). Add beaten egg whites. (egg whites must be beaten very well, like you were making meringue)
 
 Make the sure the beaters are cleaned after beating the yolks.


Some tips - Mom adds sugar at every step so that 1 cup sugar isn't really accurate. I beat the yolks until they were almost white. The egg whites should peak like meringue, and the cream was beat really well too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment