Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Herb Quick Bread



Herb Quick Bread
published in Light & Tasty April/May 2006, p17

Ingredients

3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 egg
1 cup fat-free milk
1/3 cup canola oil

Directions

In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Transfer to a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf (14 slices).

Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 169 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 184 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.


****
Made May 2nd in conjunction with Easy Hambuger Soup. This bread came together so quickly. The longest and hardest part was waiting for it to bake and then not eating it all at once!! I was really impressed with how delicious this bread tasted!! We do not care for caraway seeds, so I substituted Italian seasoning and basil. The texture was very similar to banana bread. Adding butter to it just made it even more divine.

I liked this recipe so much that I've experimented with it a little bit. The second time I made it, I changed the herbs to cinnamon. I think it could use a little crunch, so if I made cinnamon bread again I'd add some chopped walnuts or pecans. Perhaps it is because it reminds me of banana bread so much that I think that.

I think the basis of the recipe is so basic that you could really do a lot of variations and have it turn out fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment