
Asian-Flavored Quinoa Allrecipes.com, 2 points as written, 3 points as I made
Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup quinoa
2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
1 clove garlic, minced
2 green onions, chopped
Directions
1.Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in quinoa and allow to toast for 2 to 3 minutes, then add chicken broth, soy sauce, ginger and garlic. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until all liquid has been absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Fluff quinoa with fork and top with green onions before serving.
My Variation:
Add to Ingredients:
3 medium carrots, chopped/diced
1/2 c. frozen peas
1/4 bag of frozen snap peas
3 oz ham chopped (or could use other meat)
If I'd planned and prepared well ahead of time, all these would have gone in at the same time as the chicken broth, but I didn't. The carrots were added in with the quinoa and the peas were prepared according to the package directions. The quinoa was actually done before the peas, so I added the ham straight into it and warmed through, then added the peas. I also added leftover glaze from my Mango-Glazed Ham (which is the ham that I used. The flavors blended really well).
Yield: 8- 1/2 c. servings or 4- 1 c. servings
*******
Made March 11th. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com. The recipe by itself is sound, but I figured if I was going to have an Asian flavor, I might as well make it an Asian dish. But as written, the recipe is 2 points. My final dish was 3 points.
This is my first experience using quinoa, and it went pretty well. The actual grain looks a lot like sesame seed, but as it cooks it sprouts. Pretty neat. On several sites it was highly recommended to rinse the quinoa before toasting it. I started it off in a 2qt saucepan but soon realized that was too small. I warmed up the dutch oven and moved the quinoa to it to be toasted.
I'd say this was a pretty successful dish. Aaron had a full 1 cup serving!! MIRACLE! Jared ate a full cup too, but the green onions were too strong for him. Once we added more of the mango glaze he didn't have any problem finishing it. Matthew liked the flavor but not the texture. I liked every bit of it :D
Hi Val! I love the name of your blog and your labels. I can't believe how big your boys are! It's been fun to catch up a little bit :)
ReplyDelete