Friday, August 30, 2013

Couch to 5K Week 5 Day 3

Week 1 - 5 min warm-up 60 sec run 90 sec walk for 20 minutes
Week 2 - 5 min warm-up 90 sec run 2 min walk for 20 minutes
Week 3 - 5 min warm-up 90 sec run 90 sec walk 3 min run 3 min walk repeat once
Week 4 - 5 min warm-up 3 min run 90 sec walk 5 min run 2.5 min walk repeat once

Week 5 Day 1 5 min warm-up 5 min run 3 min walk 5 min run 3 min walk 5 min run
Week 5 Day 2 - 5 min warm-up 8 min run 5 min walk 8 min run
Week 5 Day 3 - 5 min warm-up 20 min run

Once again, I survived!! It was not easy. I don't know that it was any harder than any other hard run though. When my first 2 minutes passed, I wondered how I could possibly run for a total of 20 minutes. I was grateful for chubby jones' updates. When I hit 5 minutes I thought about how easy 5 minutes was on Wed but getting those next 3 were hard. Pretty soon 8 minutes had passed and I remembered that I was able to do the first 8 minutes on Wed and really was grateful for the walk. I wanted to walk at that point and really considered taking a short break, but I didn't. I kept my feet going even when they wanted to stop. When I got the more than half way there notice, it was like a rejuvenation. At the 5 minutes left I had to tell myself that I could run for 5 minutes. Then 2 1/2 minutes. It was a L-O-N-G 2 1/2 minutes, but when she did the final 10 second count down it was sweet relief!!! When I changed to a walk my legs almost went out from under me. But I did it. It felt SO good to walk home. 

Some other notes about the experience... 

I had wanted to go earlier in the day, but time got away from me and had to do it in the evening. By the time we got out the door the sun was setting. The boys were on their bikes and we headed to the parking lot that has become our go-to for bike riding. I ran in circles while they did their bikes. I was concerned about being there in the dark. It doesn't bother me as much on a bike b/c I know we could make a quick get-away or if something happened to the boys I could get to them quickly. Not so much on foot. I run like a snail so if we were in danger, we were out of luck - at least I certainly would be. Normally there is no one around when we go but tonight there was a man sitting on one of the curbs smoking a cigarette. Thankfully he left at some point but it was a little unsettling. We need to make sure and get our outing in before the sun sets. I had a hard time seeing the boys on their bikes too which is unsafe in and of itself. 

Now that I am sitting as I update, I can feel my left knee whining at me. We'll see how it holds up tomorrow.

I was supposed to do chest and back and ab ripperX yesterday for my video but I sabotaged myself by staying up til 2. When I woke up at 7 I was absolutely wiped out. I really paid for it when I then worked all day (7 hours of cleaning!!!) I still had hangover tired today and considered not exercising again, but knew that if I didn't all my motivation would have vanished. I tried not to think about running for 20 minutes only that my run needed done for the day. I think that helped with the motivation. I am trying to decide if I should skip yesterday's video or go ahead and do it tomorrow. My left shoulder socket was bothering me by the time I went to bed from all the vacuuming and scrubbing and I think the video will be a lot of weight lifting which could irritate the joint even more. I'll figure it out tomorrow though I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment