Back in business. Oh how excited Chi Max was when he saw my running clothes!! I wasn't sure how my body would react to a week of vacation, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover it mostly did it good.
Today's routine: 3 min walk/3 min run/6 sets
The first run went amazingly well. I kind of figured for 3 minutes I should be at the end of the street, so I didn't look at the clock until I was close. I didn't feel a 1 1/2 min tire nor a 2 1/2 min tired. I was surprised when I looked at the timer and discovered I was already close to the 3 minutes. The second set went about as well though not as good. By the third set I could feel it a little more. The walk before the 3rd run I accidently went 15 seconds over, but as soon as I noticed it I started the run. Between 4 & 5 I got distracted counting my blessings and ended up adding an extra minute to my walk but the way I felt at the end, it probably did me good. Run 6 was a bear. I wanted to quit so bad at the 1 1/2 min mark, but I told myself it is just another minute and a half. You can do this. To the end of the street. Come on. Next time I looked at the clock it was 2 1/2. 30 seconds. I almost made it to 'the tree' but when I glanced at the clock I was at 3 minutes so I started walking. The movement from running (extremely slow jog) to walking almost made my knees buckle from under me. But, I made it!!
One of the sets had me go all the way around CC and to the next street. I thought about how that had been my goal before I started this training program - to eventually be able to run the whole thing, but to start with running continuously the straight part of the paths. It is exciting to think that I am almost there!! Well, I kind of am there depending on how my sets fall. I am grateful I decided to take this goal seriously because I am actually achieving it because of the 5K and at a much faster rate than I imagined possible.
A concern of mine has been what to do when winter hits. Well, for me, this is winter. Oh I dread the 'real' winter. But it is definitely cold. From experience though, I know that once I start running I get hot. Today I dressed in a long sleeve shirt, short sleeve shirt, and a light knit jacket with a hood. I debated whether or not to wear gloves because I was concerned at my ability to hit the buttons on my phone. I couldn't find some like I was wanting so I decided to just go without. When I got out the door and started walking I was afraid I'd made the wrong choice. But I pulled my long sleeves out and covered my fists until I walked long enough to start my sets. Sure enough, by the end of set 2 I was warm and ready to take my jacket off. I think I may be ok doing winter and continuing my training. But if not, Matthew figured out how to rig up the treadmill without it overloading the breaker. YAY!!!! I could really use some help with speed so the treadmill will be just the ticket :)
Yesterday Matthew brought up running a marathon next year. TWENTY SIX MILES?!?! I don't think so. I told him, let me get through this 5K first. He started looking at race opportunities for his birthday - 4 weeks away. I thought about it some more and realized I had been thinking about continuing my training and by Dec 1 I might be able to actually RUN the 5K with no walking. He is hoping that this goal would also motivate him to keep up his PT despite passing the test. I decided that maybe I could do a marathon by next year if I don't give up my training. I never thought this would be in my sights. Ever. I haven't made it an official goal yet, but I think it might actually be a possibility.
By the way, another storm is scheduled to hit on Wed. A nor'easter they call it. We will see if I can actually do the 5K this week :p
Monday, November 5, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Woohoo Val! So proud of you!
ReplyDelete