
Creamy Vanilla Pudding, 5 pts for 1/2 c.
published in Reminisce Extra April 1993, p49
Ingredients
2-1/2 cups milk, divided
Pinch salt
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter
Directions
Place 2 cups milk and salt in a saucepan. Sprinkle sugar on milk and do not stir; heat over medium-high. Quickly combine cornstarch with remaining milk; add egg yolks and mix well. When milk comes to a full boil, remove saucepan from the heat and stir in cornstarch mixture. Pudding will begin to thicken. Return to the heat and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and butter. Pour into individual dishes. Serve warm. Yield: 4 servings.
*****
Made April 3rd. I had 5 egg yolks left over from last week's recipes, so I made this pudding to use them up. I had to double plus half the recipe to accomplish it, but it was perfect for our family get together. The pudding was extremely rich (perfect for dipping tortilla chips in though). It is no wonder it is worth 5 points.
I ran out of cornstarch, so I used flour to make up the rest. Unfortunately I got cornstarch or flour lumps when I mixed it with the milk. I probably needed to use a bigger container so that it could mix better. But the pudding did thicken up really nicely, so the lumps were mostly aesthetic as well as surprising for those who got them ;)
I used skim milk and Imperial margarine for this recipe.
No comments:
Post a Comment