Ground Beef Potpie
published in Light & Tasty February/March 2006, p43
Ingredients
1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
2 medium onions, chopped
1-1/2 cups finely chopped carrots
2 cups mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
1/4 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
Directions
In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onions and carrots over medium heat until beef is no longer pink; drain if necessary. Stir in the potatoes, broth and seasonings. Spoon into an ungreased 9-in. pie plate.
Place pastry over filling; crimp edges to seal. Cut slits in top. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: 1 piece equals 358 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 539 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
********
Made March 1st: I have been wanting to make this recipe for weeks now, and I finally made it the day I went to Wicked, so I didn't get to eat it fresh from the oven. Matthew's first comment was about how good the crust was. He was disappointed to learn that it's just the store brand refrigerated pie crust. His second comment was asking if there was sage in it. He thought that flavor was a little overwhelming at first. I finally got some last night for leftovers. It is a delicious crust! I really liked this dish and plan on making it again.
I ended up using ground turkey instead of beef and potato pearls instead of real mashed potatoes.
Thursday, March 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment