Thursday, May 13, 2010

Quick Turkey Casserole


Quick Turkey Casserole

Ingredients

2 cups sliced onions
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons butter
2 teaspoons canola oil
3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed reduced-fat reduced-sodium cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
2 cups cooked long grain rice
1-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup fine cornflake crumbs
1/8 teaspoon paprika

Directions

In a nonstick skillet, cook onions and sugar in butter and oil over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.

Meanwhile, place cream cheese in a shallow microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high for 20-30 seconds or until softened. Add soup; stir until blended. Add the rice, turkey, parsley, salt and pepper. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until heated through.

Toss onions with cornflake crumbs; arrange over turkey mixture. Sprinkle with paprika. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until topping is heated through. Yield: 4 servings.

Nutritional Analysis: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 375 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 625 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.

*****
Made May 12th. This recipe really is quick to put together! The longest part was carmelizing the onions. I cooked the rice up in the afternoon so that I wouldn't have to wait for it before putting the dish together which worked out really well. I had just enough crumbs left of a box of cornflakes for this recipe, so it was a good way to use them up!

I used jasmine rice because it was what I had on hand, otherwise I would have substituted brown rice. Instead of turkey I used the Tyson teriyaki chicken breast filets - which I am loving because I don't have to worry about cooking the chicken. I'm down to one last filet and then I'll have to start cooking my own chicken again! lol I also used 1 TB of margarine instead of half oil and half margarine. I realized as I was inputing this recipe into WW that I forgot to add the paprika. oops.

The dish was really good and creamy, but high in points. I did use neufchatel cream cheese so that helps. As written it is 8 points for 4 servings with 3/4 c. = serving. I dished myself 3/4 c and I think there were more than 4 servings left. I need to remeasure for myself. It's possible it made more like 6 or 8 servings.

I would definitely be interested in making this again. It would make a good standby recipe if I have rice or meat that needed used up.

No comments:

Post a Comment